Categories
Collection

Board and Picture Books

B Is for Baby

Written by Atinuke, illustrated by Angela Brooksbank
Candlewick Press, 2019

Review Sources: Kirkus | Goodreads
Purchase: Bookshop

B Is for Baby is the fun journey of Baby, Baby’s big brother, and a banana delivery to Baba’s bungalow.

I think B Is for Baby is a fun book for any young child practicing their… B’s. The illustrations are beautiful and happy, and takes readers through a vibrant West African village.

The Cambodian Dancer: Sophany’s Gift of Hope

Written by Daryn Reicherter, illustrated by Christy Hale, translated by Bophal Phen
Tuttle Publishing, 2015

Accolade: Moonbeam Children’s Book Award Silver Medal for Non-Fiction — Picture Book
Review Sources: Goodreads | The Reading Tub
Purchase: Amazon

The Cambodian Dancer offers younger readers some background of Cambodian history while also sharing the tradition of Cambodian dances and Sophany’s journey to the United States.

While I would prefer to include more books by Cambodian authors on this list, I decided to select this book for the collection because it includes a Khmer translation at the end of the story.

Clever Little Witch

Written by Mượn Thị Văn, illustrated by Hyewon Yum
McElderry, 2019

Review Sources: Kirkus / Greater Good Magazine / Goodreads
Purchase: Bookshop

Little Linh, a witch on Mãi Mãi island, is fed up with her brother, Baby Phu—so she decides to cast a spell on him. Chaos ensues!

I’ve included this book in the collection for its classic story of an annoying younger sibling and its alternative depiction of a witch—a little Vietnamese girl in a colorful, tropical location. The illustrations are especially charming.

Cora Cooks Pancit

Written by Dorina K. Lazo Gilmore, illustrated by Kristi Valiant
Lee & Low Books, 2009

Review Sources: Goodreads | BookDragon (Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center)
Purchase: Lee & Low

Cora usually gets stuck with odd jobs helping in the kitchen, but today she gets to help Mama make pancit.

I selected this story for the loving relationship depicted between a mother and daughter. It also features a variety of Filipino dishes in addition to pancit, and includes a recipe that readers can try making at home.

Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin

Duncan Tonatiuh
Abrams, 2010

Accolade: Pura Belpre Illustrator Honor Book (2011)
Reviews: Kirkus | Goodreads | Publishers Weekly
Purchase: Abrams

Charlie and Carlitos are primos. Charlie lives in America and Carlitos lives in Mexico, but through their letters, they realize how similar they are.

In this process, I’ve noticed that a lot more of the books I’ve selected have girl main characters. In addition to having Latino main characters, I enjoy this story and the connection that Charlie and Carlitos have despite living in different countries.

Just a Minute! A Trickster Tale and Counting Book

Yuyi Morales
Chronicle, 2003

Accolade: Pura Belpre Award (2004)
Reviews: Kirkus | Goodreads | Social Justice Books
Purchase: Amazon

Practice counting in Spanish and English with Grandma Beetle as she gets ready for a party!

I selected this book for its bright illustrations and playful, bilingual text.

Me & Mama

Written and illustrated by Cobzi A. Cabrera
Denene Millner Books, 2020

Accolades: Coretta Scott King Honor, Caldecott Honor for Illustration (2021)
Review Sources: Kirkus | Goodreads
Purchase: Bookshop

Me & Mama depicts the loving relationship between a little girl and her mama on a rainy day at home.

I chose to add Me & Mama to the collection for the beauty that its illustrations depict in the mundane.

My Papí Has a Motorcycle

Written by Isabel Quintero, illustrated by Zeke Peña
Kokila, 2019

Accolades: Pura Belpré Illustrator Honor (2020)
Review Sources: GoodreadsNPR | Social Justice Books
Purchase: Powell’s

My Papí Has a Motorcycle is a tribute to Quintero’s dad, and her hometown of Corona, California.

I selected this book for a few different reasons. Corona is roughly one hour from Long Beach. The illustration includes nods to common sights in Southern California, like a character’s Dodgers cap and a paletero at the end of the book. I also appreciate that the dialogue in the illustrations includes both English and Spanish.

When Langston Dances

Written by Kaija Langley, illustrated by Keith Mallett
Denene Millner, 2021

Reviews: Kirkus | Goodreads
Preorder: Bookshop

Langston loves dancing more than anything. Can he achieve his dream of being a dancer?

This book isn’t going to be published until September, but I’m adding it to the list for a depiction of Black Boy Joy. It also sends a message that kids can pursue their interests regardless of whether or not it’s what society might expect of them.