BOOK REVIEWS

Nat Turner by Kyle Baker

A graphic novel based on the true life events of a slave rebellion led by Nat Turner in 1831.

Historical Fiction Genre, Graphic Novel 
213 Pages
Published July 1st 2008 by Harry N. Abrams
ISBN 0810972271 

Hardcover (unavailable)
Paperback ($13.89)
eBook ($9.99)
AudioBook (NA)

***This book interested me because I had never read an adult graphic novel before. 

*Summary with Spoilers*

This was an adult graphic novel that I read about a man often written out of history named Nat Turner. Nat Turner’s mother was taken from Africa and she was pregnant on the ship. Apparently she gave birth on the ship and threw the baby overboard to the sharks that followed slave ships because she didn’t want her baby to live in the conditions that she was being subjected to. The graphic novel then goes on to depict American slavery and the horrors of what black people had to endure. Nat taught himself to read and had to pretend like he was dumb in front of white people because slaves were not allowed to read. In his adulthood he ends up leading a slave uprising because he says they are stronger than their white owners and should not be afraid of them. The white owners should be afraid of THEM. The group killed a bunch of their white owners and white towns people. They even killed the babies, which I did not like, but I am sure the white owners were not better in their treatment of children. Nat turner ends up getting caught and sentenced to death for leading the riot. 

*In My Opinion*

The drawings were so good, but also made me very uncomfortable, which is good because it is an uncomfortable subject. There is no color and I kind of preferred it like that because it made me feel like it was old due to the lack of color. Also I think it was used as a symbolic device showing the contrast between black and white, or black and white skin. It also suggests that support of slavery is a black or white belief. They would have no sympathy for anyone because they didn’t have sympathy for the black slaves. 

*Rating Received*

The book scored a rating in quality and popularity based on Jennetta’s Book Rating Scale. 

Quality Score:

Popularity Score:

*Appeal Factors*

This comic would be good for anyone who wants to learn about the bits of history that mainstream media then to keep out of the textbooks in school. 

*Book Talking Ideas*

NA cause it is a graphic novel?

*Possible Book Discussion Questions*

1. How do you feel about this story? 

*Author’s Website and Interviews 1 &2*

*Book Reviews and/or Book Awards*

Harvey Award, Best Graphic Album 2009
2006 Glyph Comics Awards (Story of the Year, Best Artist, and Best Cover)

*Read-a-Likes*

Read-a-likes Include:

• Surviving Southampton by Vanessa M. Holden
    • Barracoon by Zora Neale Hurston
    • The Skave’s cause by Manisha Sinha

*Tags for the Future*

#GraphicNovel
#NatTurner
#SlaveryinAmerica
#Reading
#Murder
#SlaveUprising
#JusticeforSlaves
#BabyKilling
#HangingofNat