Hello! My name is Viviana and I am from San Jose, CA. I have a BA in Comparative Literature and MA in Italian Studies from the University of California, Berkeley. My favorite book is Manuel Puig’s Kiss of the Spider Woman. I’m looking forward to starting the MLIS program and I chose San Jose State as I know the school has a good reputation, the program seems well organized, and online course are a good choice for me since I am working. I am nervous about the program being completely online, as I am used to having regular contact with faculty and students, but perhaps it will also get me used to the fact that so much information professional work seems to have an online component. I have loved libraries all my life and currently have access to all the libraries at Stanford, where I work. One of my favorite features is online access to the Kanopy film database. I previously taught English in Italy (where my parents are from) and have lived in the UK and Spain. I know that an MLIS will be necessary to become a librarian, and I am attracted to the combination of research, outreach, and administrative work of a librarian. I would like to either work as a public or special librarian, especially with all the interesting archival materials that are available at a university. I recently visited Vancouver and checked out their downtown public library. Seeing all the services they offer to the public (including access to sound booths to record music and video) has confirmed my goal to work for an institution that serves the public in so many ways. Here are some pictures from the Vancouver library. In addition to being a great place to find all kinds of documents, I love how libraries are great places to hang out and take naps.

Categories: Uncategorized

Carol Ng-He · January 30, 2020 at 3:47 am

Belated hello, Viviana!
Thanks for sharing about your journey in deciding to pursue the MLIS program at SJSU. I felt the same way at the beginning, especially going for a program part-time among other obligations outside of school. I look forward to exploring more in it and applying the skills in my current library job as well. Best of luck!
Carol

Viviana Cois · February 6, 2020 at 8:46 pm

Hi Carol! How exciting, you already work in a library. What do you focus on?

Bianca Romero-Alcala · February 4, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Hi Viviana!

These are beautiful photos! I love how libraries use their space to provide unique hang out and study areas or as many of us enjoyed them in college, nap spots.

I read you are interested in the Public Librarianship pathway and since you have lived in amazing places, are you looking at a dream library to work in?

– Bianca

Viviana Cois · February 6, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Hi Bianca! I would love to start working in a library at a university with special collections or a public one in my area. How about yourself?

Michael Stephens · February 7, 2020 at 7:07 pm

Hello Viviana – Thanks for sharing the photos. I spoke at Vancouver PL a few years ago and they were doing such amazing things. So cool you have lived around the world. Glad you found your way to our program. Welcome to INFO 200!